Two weeks later and I’m still painting the kitchen. Not because anything has gone wrong. Just because it takes time to do the job right. And I’m very pleased with the results thus far. It’s truly a transformation in progress!
I’m using Benjamin Moore products on the cabinets. They have a paint called Advance which is a “waterborne interior alkyd.” It gives the hardness of oil-based paint but the low odour/VOC and easy cleanup of water-based. In fact, I’ve noticed that brushes come clean faster with this paint.
Their Stix primer went on first – plain white for “Chantilly Lace” on the upper cabinets and tile backsplash, and tinted grey for “Downpour Blue” on the lower cabinets. I was satisfied with two coats of blue but added one more coat of white to the exterior of the uppers as there was just a faint tinge of yellow showing in a couple of spots.
I’ve just started on the doors and they will take FOREVER. I only have room to paint half of them at time, I can only paint one side at a time, and the Advance paint needs 16 hours to dry. OK so that means they will take 12 days (six days per batch), not FOREVER. Still…
Since it only takes about an hour to paint one side of half the the cabinet doors, I’m also working on kitchen trim, basement door, and back door while I have the primer and paint open. Soon I’ll get gleaming white paint on those tired tan walls, too. I look forward to putting a couple of shelves where a cabinet used to be, with a wire Ikea rack that I had in the kitchen of my first house underneath it. This will be one of the ways that I feature my pretty cobalt blue glassware. (That mess in the background is my entire kitchen waiting to be unpacked.)
A few pro painting tips I’ve picked up over the years:
Pro tip #1 – Caulk all the gaps between trim and wall and between bits of trim. Messy but worthwhile work. Also countersink any protruding nail heads and fill in the holes.
Pro tip #2 – Paint your trim first and don’t worry about getting a little paint on the wall. It’s easier to cut wall paint into the trim versus the other way around.
Pro tip #2 – When painting baseboards, keep on hand a wet rag, a putty knife, and a taping knife (it’s a drywall tool). You can use the large blade of the taping knife to avoid touching the floor when cutting in, just wipe it after ever use and rinse the rag frequently. If you make a boo boo, wrap the rag around the putty knife for a precision cleanup. Or if you’re pretty good at cutting in, just use the putty knife/rag trick.
Pro tip #4 – Invest in good quality paint that will cover well and stand the test of time. The paint for the cabinets was my third largest investment in this kitchen makeover. My online research suggests that the Benjamin Moore products I chose will do the trick. I can report that the coverage is good. Only time will tell how well it stands up to my cooking adventures.
The second largest investment was the wire rack pullouts for the lower cabinets. They are replacing shallow shelves that were difficult to reach. They are $100+ a pop for the sizes I got, and I got four of them, plus some racks to line up cookie sheets etc. Do the math. But I have used these before and if you can’t have a bank of nice deep kitchen drawers, these are the next best thing and, by comparison, much cheaper. I also picked up an Ikea pullout thingie for the corner cabinet…it’s still in the box, cross fingers that it will work in this space.
The largest investment, which I’ve not yet made, will be a new fridge. All the appliances will be replaced over time, along with the countertop and sink. But the fridge is a priority. What where these people thinking? I can’t imagine wanting a side-by-side fridge that dispenses water and ice badly enough to buy one that’s too big for the spot where it’s supposed to go. I’ve had the water line removed and capped in the basement. If there is no fridge sale soon, I might just break down and pay full price for a right-size one because this is driving me bananas.
The finishing touch to this kitchen will pulls and knobs. I am nervous about drilling new holes (measure 17 times, drill once!) so I’m minimizing how much of that I need to do. I filled one of the two holes in each door and will put a brushed nickel knob in the other. Some of the drawer pulls fit the existing holes. Under the sink and stove, there were drawer pulls on sets of “fake drawers” (decorative panels). Cross fingers my plan will work to install one long pull spanning each set so there will be places to hang tea towels.
Stay tuned for part trois – the final reveal!